SIAM GS 2017

SIAM Conference on Mathematical and Computational Issues in the Geosciences
September 11—14, 2017 • Erlangen, Germany

SIAM GS 2017

SIAM Conference on Mathematical and Computational Issues in the Geosciences
September 11—14, 2017 • Erlangen, Germany

Conference Details

Online Program

Print-File

Sights

© Daniel Arnold via Wikimedia Commons

Botanical Garden

The Botanical Garden was established for the university in 1747. Two hectares of plants from various climates and vegetation areas make this place special. Tropical and subtropical plants can be found in the big greenhouses.


© https://pixabay.com

Castle „Markgrafenschloss“

Between 1700 and 1704, the "Markgrafenschloss" has been built in Baroque style with influences of French classicism. The building was finally completed by Gottfried von Gedeler. Today, the "Markgrafenschloss" accommodates the administration of the university.


© Selby via Wikimedia Commons

Huguenot Church

Outside France, the Huguenot Church in Erlangen was the first Huguenot church, and it was built as a donation from Margrave Christian Ernst between 1686 and 1693. This was the beginning of the establishment of Erlangen´s New Town.


© Ghormax via Wikimedia Commons

Schlossgarten

The baroque park complex was heavily influenced by Versailles in certain features. The fountain, designed in 1705 shows the members of leading Huguenot families at the bottom level, in the middle you can see ancient deities and at the top there is Margrave Christian Ernst.


© Aarp65 via Wikimedia Commons

Market/Castle Square

The Palace square with the neighbouring marketplace today represents the center of Erlangen. Together, they are part of the Erlangen pedestrian area and a proven venue for numerous markets and festivities.
The two places were created in 1686 east of the newly built Erlangen castle as the Grande Place according to the plans of the margrave master architect Johann Moritz Richter.


Sockmaker’s Houses (Holzgartenstrasse)

The Sockmaker's houses are backdated to 1720 and 1740. The Huguenots also brought sockmakers to Erlangen, as well as the traditions of felt hat and glove making, and this soon became one of the main sources of income for the city.

© https://pixabay.com

St. Sebald Church (Sebalduskirche)

Nuremberg's oldest city parish church was built around 1215 as a three-aisled Late Romanesque pillared basilica with two choirs. As early as 1309 the original side aisles were widened and altered in the Gothic style. Destroyed during World War II like the rest of the city, St. Sebald was reconstructed in 1957 and reconsecrated.


© Creando via Wikimedia Commons

Zoological Garden (Tiergarten Nürnberg)

Whoever has experienced the wide variety and idylls of Nuremberg Zoo will come back again. The elegant movements of the dolphins and sea lions in the dolphin lagoon, the tropical atmosphere in the manatee house and the feeding of the polar bears in the Aqua Park provide an unforgettable experience.


© Chris Baier (chrisglub) via Wikimedia Commons

Former Nazi Party Rally Grounds (Reichsparteitagsgelände)

Former Nazi Party Rally Grounds and remaining structures: the unfinished Congress Hall, the main stand at the Zeppelinfeld and the Grosse Strasse (parade road) stand as mute witnesses to National Socialist megalomania.


© https://pixabay.com

Hospital of the Holy Spirit (Heilig-Geist-Spital)

Established from 1332 to 1339 as a foundation endowed by the wealthy patrician Konrad Groß (“Imperial Mayor”) for the elderly and needy. Considered the largest private endowment by any individual before 1500.

© Aarp65 via Wikimedia Commons

Centaurs Fountain

In front of the main station, you can see the Centaurs Fountain. This fountain was designed by Rudolf Maison in 1890 in remembrance of the first train line and the first central water supply. It shows how humans tame nature (in form of the centaur) just as they tamed the steam of a train.


© Kasa Fue via Wikimedia Commons

"Fürther Freiheit" (Fürth Freedom)

In 1835 the first German train (Adler) arrived at this place. Due to this fact, the place soon became a central point of Fürth. Today it is used for festivals and as a market place.


© Janericloebe via Wikimedia Commons

Old Jewish Cemetery

Set up in 1607 the Old Jewish Cemetery is the most important witness of the long and important Jewish history in Fürth. About 20,000 people lay buried here and about 6,500 gravestones are still visible. It is accessible with a guided tour, that can be booked via Fürth Tourism.


© Jörg Wiegels via Wikimedia Commons

Gustavstraße

For centuries this street was the most important street of the old town. Today, with its restaurants, it is the perfect spot for meetings in the evening. No house is the same and some of them even show the old wooden framework. The street was named after the Swedish King Gustav Adolf who visited the town in 1632.

Herzogenrauch (12 km from Erlangen)

Buttenheim (25 km, S1 in direction of Bamberg)

House of Levi Strauss' birth: museum in Buttenheim

Bamberg (40 km, S1 or regional express (RE))

World Heritage Site Bamberg

 

Endorsed by
"Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft"